BED AND BREAKFAST IN BOLOGNA   ACCOMMODATION IN BOLOGNA   ERBORISTERIA   WEBMASTER

 

 

next page

previous page

Home page. This is the beginning of our travel...

The Council ofTrent, which acted from 1545 to 1563, in 1547 temporarily transferred to Bologna in the Palazzo Sanuti-Bevilacqua.
Repressing the ambition of the Bolognese people in charge of S. Petronio who wanted the church, still unfinished, to become an even greater church than St. Peter's in Rome, Pope Pius IV, in 1561, ordered Carlo Borromeo his Cardinal Legate, to build the Archiginnasio, which was to be the unified centre for studies. The Archiginnasio architect was Antonio Morandi, called "Il Terribilia", a Bolognese artist who planned a one storey building above the portico subsequently called "del Pavaglione", (probably from "padiglione", to remember the stand or pavilion which was in the adjoining square, opened in the 16th Century to encourage the raw silk trade).
This portico, continuing the ones of the Palazzo dei Banchi and of the Ospedale della Morte (this fast one was also added by the Terribilia), became a public walk which connected Piazza Maggiore, the centre of the "Studio" (up to the end of the 18th Century) to the present Piazza Galvani, which had been opened, as they said, in that period. In this way the schools - which in the 15th Century were in the Via delle Scuole, in the street which became Via dell'Archiginnasio, and in the Ospedale della Morte (now the Civic Archeology Museum) - in 1563 were re-united in a single central building under closer control on the part of the authorities which were, by then, starting their counter Reformation activities. In the initial period however, the number of students, especially German ones, greatly increased. In fact, although the Holy Office showed particular clemency here, in 1553 the Inquisition reached Bologna too. During the following century, inside the Archiginnasio, above the Chapel of St. Maria dei Bulgari, the Anatomical Theatre was built entirely of wood; in it anatomy lessons, also open to the public, were held.
 

 

Related links

Archiginnasio

Archiginnasio - virtual tour

Actually the Archiginnasio (converted into library) shows more than 7000 "stemma" (escutcheons) of international scholars.
stemma database

 

 

 

b
o
l
o
g
n
a

u
r
b
a
n

p
l
a
n
 

General - Environment - Iron and Etruscan Age - Roman Age - Patron Saint- The Commune - Alma mater studiorum - Re Enzo - Porticoes - St Peter - Gothic - 14th Century - Piazza Maggiore - Aristocratic palaces - Brick and other stones - Early 15th Century - Archiginnasio - Counter Reformation Renaissance - 16th Century - Great portico ribbons - Frescoes in palaces - The "scenographic" cityNapoleon's republics - Fall of Church power - The Restoration - Haussmann style - The new Century - Floreal style - Rationalism - World War - Active preservation - Around 2000