BED AND BREAKFAST IN BOLOGNA   ACCOMMODATION IN BOLOGNA   ERBORISTERIA   WEBMASTER

 

 

next page

previous page

Home page. This is the beginning of our travel...

In 1900 the demolition of the walls, according to the 1889 town-plan,  marked the coming of the new century; by then the middle-class was already confronted by the first organised opposition from the socialist proletariat. Via Ugo Bassi and Via Rizzoli were enlarged, and a long, internal street from Porta S. Donato to Porta Lame was opened, while the suburbs steadily grew and expanded.

While the anarchic and uncoordinated revolt which blew up in the second half of the 19thCentury (the names of Bakunin and Costa, who were involved in a lawsuit in Bologna, become famous), found in Costa himself, a politic opening organized in socialism. During the Giolitti time the city was run by moderate forces, while the industries, and in the Molinella area the cooperation, kept expanding.

The land revolution which began with the plain draining during Giolitti time, favoured the start of the first national cereal market and a big sorting centre of farm products and capital in Bologna. The contemporary development of big farms run according to the Bassa system supplied, the processing industries. The industry developement at the same time generated a factory proletariat.
The middle class, whose wealth had increased through the land market, continued their town-planning programmes, as set out inthe 1889 town-plan. ln conformity with this plan, in 1900, practically all the walls of the fast circle, except the Gates, were demolished, to make way for the new avenues. Several towers were demolished, to make room for the buildings in the new streets

Another plan, the one of rector Capellini concerning the University was linked with the town-plan of 1889; it hinged upon Via Irnerio which by then was about to be built, in order to form the "study town", as planned in the Napoleonic period, thus creating an area which ranged from the clinics of S. Orsola to the Botanic Garden (Palazzina della Viola), also including the Accademia di Belle Arti, the National Gallery the Liceo Musicale and the Municipal Theatre. Meanwhile the suburbs of the city, which already had more than 100,000 inhabitants, had expanded beyond the walls and the avenues without control and were spreading about in a disorderly and squalid way; with some exceptions such as the popular districts of Bolognina and via Libia where the building cooperatives worked; while the residential areas were extending towards the green hillsides, in the districts which are now called Costa-Saragozza, Colli and Murri followed the 19th Century ideal of the citygarden.

ln 1909 in the plain that remained till then a huge marshy area - the Company for the Reno draining was set up and began the canalization work which covered more than 1,100km.

 


Women washing along the Reno Channel


Textile factory


Paper factory

 

b
o
l
o
g
n
a

u
r
b
a
n

p
l
a
n
 

General - Environment - Iron and Etruscan Age - Roman Age - Patron Saint- The Commune - Alma mater studiorum - Re Enzo - Porticoes - St Peter - Gothic - 14th Century - Piazza Maggiore - Aristocratic palaces - Brick and other stones - Early 15th Century - Archiginnasio - Counter Reformation Renaissance - 16th Century - Great portico ribbons - Frescoes in palaces - The "scenographic" cityNapoleon's republics - Fall of Church power - The Restoration - Haussmann style - The new Century - Floreal style - Rationalism - World War - Active preservation - Around 2000